Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Arrival

I finally arrived 17 hours later in Johannesburg through a connection in London. I was instantly greeted with warm weather which was a nice change from the sleet rain in Finland.

I met with my host and employer Sydney and abandoned my traveling companions,  Anni and Jenna who are going to work at a different place.  After a relatively long and dangerous drive (South Africans drive almost in the same way as Italians) we arrived at Lenasia which to a Finnish middle class looks like slums, and I can't be much wrong since there is a shack town.

After getting coffee with Sydney and his wife we went to see the youth centre Sydney runs, Joshua's Haven. We talked about what usually goes on there and what Sydney would like for me to bring to the place. After a short while a 9 year old girl shows up to do her homework and I am greeted by the fact that not everyone has English as their first language.

Hot day changes to hot and humid when it starts raining. Sydney says it's a good thing since there's been a drought but on the flipside it means less kids coming to the centre,  and only 2 more have shown up at the time of writing this. Which I'm doing in absence of anything else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment