Saturday, March 19, 2016

BBQ etc.

I've set myself on certain routines. I wake up at 9am, take a bath, eat breakfast and just go lay in the sun because work usually starts at 1pm for me. I apply a thick layer of sun screen first though; I burned myself once and I'm not thrilled to do that again. Sometimes I go to the local shop and buy soda, which is really, really cold in the fridge there.

Easter holidays started on Friday and we thought Thursday and Friday will be slow at the centre. We were wrong.

Sydney had to go run some errands on Thursday morning so I was left to open the centre all by myself. Soon as I unlocked the doors and turned off the alarm, a woman in distress came in and told me his son uses drugs and is geared up on something right now. She said he agreed to go to rehab though but doesn't know how long he thinks that way so we need to act fast. I didn't know where to send him, I thought of clinics or the rehab center ran by Sydney's wife's brother. In the end I just tried to calm her down and informed Sydney so he can come and sort it out.

It'd take Sydney 1 hour to get back so I told the woman to go home and come back in a bit. After she was gone, a horde of little kids showed up at the centre even though it was raining and then I remembered. They're supposed to get a snack, but we didn't do shopping the previous day. I ran to the shop in something that could be classed as a tsunami but made it back alive.

Friday was calm at work, some kids proud of themselves showed up but mostly to just show their report cards. We planned the sport's event a bit more, settled on a date for it and I made the posters.

Saturday I accompanied Sydney and Joshua to a fellowship of men meeting at the church. We sat around the table drinking coffee and tea, singing and talking. The men were interested in what Finland is like so I told them everything from the nature to politics, which led us on a discussion of South African politics. The priest had lots of strong opinions and in my opinion really good ones too. He told me he is going to take me fishing someday.

We also went to visit Sydney's wife's, Zipporah's, brother again. I rode there on the open back of a pickup truck which I think is pretty illegal in Finland.  There were lots of people again and I introduced them to the Finnish board game "Star of Africa", which I brought with me from Finland as a gift. Afterwards I played soccer and hide and seek while waiting for the men to grill us some steaks and chops. It felt really good to eat lots of meat again because the daily diet here doesn't include the amount of meat what a Finnish man is used to.

Tomorrow I'm going to the church in the morning because I promised the priest I'll be there, a decision I somewhat regret now because I'm pretty tired after all that running earlier. We'll see if I manage to force myself up in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Kuulostaa niiiiiiin siistiltä! Enjoy!! Blogisi on saanu paljon kiitosta eripuolilta. Terveisiä Sydneylle, Zipporahille ja ennen kaikkea Joshualle :)

    ReplyDelete