Thursday, March 10, 2016

First church

After I finished the last blog update couple days ago, more kids showed up and I had to try and explain where Finland is. Wisened by this,  when we set up a library in the youth centre the next day, I searched for an atlas with a map of Earth. I don't think I've ever seen such big reaction of amazement and surprise when I showed how far away I come from.

Most of my days at work I help kids with their homework, mostly english and maths. The skill level varies a lot, and there are 12 grades but for example there can be a 15 year old and 21 year old on the same grade.

I gave suggestions to Sydney about having different days and more activities for the centre, like board games and cooking nights etc. and we started planning them for the future weeks.

I'm not a religious person, but I just got back from my first African church and it couldn't be any different than Finnish. There are electric quitars, drums and back singers and the whole church participates with lots of passion. The whole service in general has lots of interaction with everyone. I probably had to greet around 40 people 5 times each.

No comments:

Post a Comment